Avoid spending your holidays handling winter disasters
Ready or not here comes winter with its fluffy snow and sparkling icicles. Avoid spending your days handling winter disasters with a bit of preventive maintenance right now. It’s a good idea to expect some normal deterioration of your home and to budget accordingly for repairs that are likely to become necessary given the age and condition of the home. There are many benefits of maintaining your home:
Prevent costly repairs—
Home repairs can be expensive if they are not caught in time. Maintaining your home can help you correct any potential problems before they become bigger issues.
Home & systems humming—
Home maintenance ensures your systems continue working well and most efficiently when you need them.
Improve resale value—
Most buyers prefer a home that’s been well taken care of and will pay closer to list price for it.
Here’s a handy winter checklist to help you prevent costly repairs and may even save you some money:
- Clear gutters of any debris.
- Inspect your roof for any missing or damaged shingles.
- Have chimney cleaned and inspected.
- Check for air leaks, seal up drafty areas with weather stripping or caulk.
- Install storm windows.
- Get furnace inspected, repaired and cleaned. Change filters.
- Test smoke and carbon monoxide detectors, plus replace batteries.
- Remove or cover any window air conditioner units.
- Close crawl space vents.
- Inspect & upgrade your attic insulation.
- Clean your kitchen appliances & remove lint from dryer exhaust duct.
- Insulate water pipes in unheated areas of the home.
- Disconnect and store your hoses from outside faucets.
- Drain and turn off any sprinkler system.
A home is usually the largest investment most people make in their lives. Why not protect your investment and keep your home in tip-top shape by staying on top of its maintenance. By tackling these few simple chores your winter will be more pleasant and may prevent any nasty surprises next spring!
Written by: Debbie Gurley, Broker
For those who want to sell their home in Aurora, Geneva, Batavia, St. Charles, Wheaton, Naperville, IL, get in touch with the real estate experts at Miscella Real Estate. Their agents will guide you through every step of the selling process from pricing to closing. Call them today at (630) 232-1570 or email info(at)miscella(dotted)com.